Monday, October 31, 2011

Oaxacan Horse, Stage 2!

 ^ Partially primed muzzle.

 ^ Muzzle and chin fuzz painted.

^ Bridge of nose almost done.... 

^ ...and done! 

^ Spiral-leaf motif drawn with True Green Verithin. 

^ Face completed! 

 ^ I bring more green onto the throat to continue the chin / jaw marking. Hooves colored.

^ Left foreleg feathering mostly painted.

^ Foreleg feathering complete!

Saturday, October 29, 2011

Oaxacan Horse, Stage 1!

^ Rather than trace my lineart with ballpoint, I opted to keep the pencil lines intact and color over them with Verithins.

^ Feathering begun...

^ ...and finished on right foreleg.

^ Pulling back to show the completed hooves.

^ Belly outlined, with light markings penciled in.

^ I outline the forelock and mane with Process Red; the eye with Ultramarine.

^ The tail is also outlined with Process Red.

^ Finished color outlines!

^ Obligatory skewed-angle shot.

^ Facial marking and eye completed, I move onto the forelock; I prime it with Aquamarine.

^ Magenta added.

^ Dahlia Purple and Violet complete the forelock's shadows.

^ Orange added for a 'highlight.'

^ Magenta completes the forelock!

^ My color palette, worked out last night (along with all progress seen on this post). Printed inspiration beneath it. For a bolder selection, I left yellow out and replaced it with Chartreuse.

Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Oaxacan Horse sketches and lineart!

^ Thumbnail and color concepts done with ballpoint pen and Blick Studio colored pencils. They're comparable to Prismacolor and are quite a bit cheaper.

^ Face concept, again with ballpoint and Blick Studio pencils.

^ Ballpoint sketch with patterns I may incorporate on the final piece.

^ Eye study with Prismacolor colored pencils.

^ Ear study with Prismacolors. Lines impressed with a stylus.

^ Rough ballpoint sketch drawn on the back of the final board, facing backwards.

^ Final lineart, sketched and cleaned up. I wanted a more stylized look for the Horse like I used for the Big Cat; the Hummingbird and Bearded Dragon got too realistic.

The Oaxacan Horse is based off of the Clydesdale, one of my favorite horse breeds. I adore draft horses.

Monday, October 24, 2011

Sketchbook_Nature Sketch 3 Pgs. 27a - 32b

These were drawn May 6 earlier this year during one of AIPD's open figure drawing sessions. I haven't posted all of my figure drawing sessions from that month here yet, and I wanted to share them. I was quite happy with this session; the sixth page down is my favorite.

Thursday, October 20, 2011

Oaxacan Bearded Dragon, Stage 4 COMPLETE!

^ I begin priming the belly.

^ Belly painted, minus later touch-ups.

^ Working left to right, I prime and paint the hind leg.

^ Scales and markings roughed in.

^ Markings continued onto toes.

^ Hind leg fully painted!

^ I prime the forelegs with a slightly darker color.

^ Markings added to toes.

^ Scales roughed in for right foreleg.

^ Scales roughed in for outer left foreleg...

^ ...and inner left foreleg.

^ Pulling back to show scales thus far.

^ Crosshatching on throat marks rough scale placement.

^ Scales defined more clearly.

^ Local hue painted over scales (I will go back and detail them further).

^ I prepare the other side of the jaw with Dark Purple to help denote depth.

^ Left foreleg painted with local hue. Again, I will return to it for detailing.

^ Markings primed onto right foreleg.

^ Toe markings defined more clearly.

^ Scales roughed in for shoulder.

^ Shading primed in for scales.

^ Markings painted in.

^ Right foreleg painted!

^ Shoulder painted. Scales detailed again later on.

^ "Shiny shot" focused on shoulder scales.

^ Scales roughed in on throat.

^ Shading added.

^ Color palette! I wore a few of these pencils to nubs while working on the Dragon.

^ The Oaxacan Bearded Dragon is COMPLETE!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...