Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Oaxacan Hummingbird: template and color study!

^ Refined sketch in my sketchbook (the one Laryssa and Britt got me for my birthday earlier this year!). I worked from photo references from Tony Tilford's The Complete Book of Hummingbirds. This hummer is a mashup of the Sparkling Violet-Ear and Tufted Coquette hummingbirds.


^ Color palette for the Oaxacan Hummingbird, minus black. I chose bolder hues complemented by more vibrant counterparts.


^ Template for the Hummingbird, photocopied from my sketchbook.


^ It's not too obvious, but one photocopy is a 120%; the other 115%.


^ Color palette and color study.


^ Finished color study!


^ Scanned color study.


This Hummingbird is going to be a joy to work on, especially because I've concepted it before starting the final piece.

No comments:

Post a Comment