Sunday, May 11, 2014

BRAINSICK: Sun Cries Morning, 2014 - Stage 2 - DONE!

Sun Cries Morning (2014)
technical pen on approx. 8" x 14" smooth bristol
black and white inks
I'm not sure how many hours I logged on this piece, but I worked on it over the course of nine days. I'm quite pleased with how it turned out. My shading is too heavy in several areas, but with more practice, I can learn to control it better. I considered stippling the background to lend a neutral tone, but I decided to test it in Photoshop instead. Thus:


Which do you prefer?

I'm just happy that the tree looks more like a TREE now and not some ersatz tree-thing like what I drew in the original (although I still had tons of fun drawing that tree-thing). Again, for reference:


Sun Cries Morning (2005)
Even though this is a finished piece, I'd be more than happy to hear your thoughts, suggestions, critiques, anything you may have to say about it.







First-pass textures begun on tree.





Above right: first-pass tree textures completed!


Second-pass tree textures started.











Above right: fur shading finished on Paranoid's foreleg.

Adding better contrast with white ink.






Now I need to really push myself and create some LARGE pieces. I still have 14" x 17" bristol, after all...

No comments:

Post a Comment