Sunday, September 1, 2013

Oaxacan Big Cat: Mini-Bust!

I've wanted to create a mini-bust portrait of the Oaxacan Big Cat ever since finishing the original piece. I have better materials and more experience than I did two years ago. In an effort to preserve my Prismacolor pencils, I am blending them with Derwent Coloursoft, Blick Studio, and Koh-I-Noor Progresso colored pencils. Many colors are close matches and work well layered together.

Sketchbook concepts.
After the initial sketches, I photocopied the bottom bust, blew it up by 150%, and traced it onto Strathmore Windpower Mixed Media Vellum bristol, 400 Series, 6"h x 8"w. Strathmore 400 series paper stands up to more layering and editing than other papers I've used.

Rough sketch in Light Gray Col-Erase.
Outlining with Prismacolor Verithins.


Working on a drawing board allows for a more comfortable angle.

Whisker pads primed with Blick Studio Light Blue.



Koh-I-Noor Progresso woodless colored pencils are
fantastic for establishing large areas of color.


Bridge of nose primed with Progresso #7











Draco hanging out on my art desk alongside the original Big Cat.




Face and ears complete!
One of the larger stylus points used.

Medium-size stylus point.






This is what the Big Cat mini-bust currently looks like,
minus the polishing from the last three photos.


No comments:

Post a Comment