Sunday, August 23, 2015

Oaxacan Toucan, Stage 1!

SO. I haven't updated my blog since March 19.

That's criminal. Part of it is the exhaustion of working a retail day job - even though I know that shouldn't be an excuse.

The good news? - I've finally begun the Oaxacan Toucan!

Rough sketch drawn directly on Strathmore vellum bristol paper.

Impressed lines using a stylus.










Prismacolors and Lyra Color-Giants.
Color-Giants are AMAZING for laying down large areas of color fast.
A scrap of printer paper helps keep uncolored areas clean.
I picked up a bunch of pencil grips to help ease pain in my hands.

Priming the final portion of the bill.

Finished eye and bill!

My nighttime workstation!
I found this acrylic thing by a Dumpster at my apartment
complex. Couldn't resist taking it home and cleaning it up!
Works great for all my pencil jars and shavings cup.

Banner made by Heather!

As some of you know, I'm going to share an Artist Alley table at Rose City Comic Con with a good friend of mine. I'll have prints of the Oaxacan Toucan available, along with all of my previous Oaxacan Animals. My goal is to finish the Toucan for a smaller gallery showing on Wednesday, September 2 at The Spritely Bean, a comics cafe run by two of my friends and former classmates. 

I still have a good deal of work cut out for me. But thanks to an out-of-the-blue three-day weekend, I've got a little extra time to prepare!

No comments:

Post a Comment