Monday, June 2, 2014

30 Day Art Challenge, Day 2!

Day 2: Draw someone you like (celebrity, etc).

7.5" x 7.5" colored pencil on Kona Classic Premium Toned Artist Paper
The next time I express an interest in creating a colored pencil piece for something that's supposed to take only one day to complete, slap some reason into my head. I had a heck of a time trying to match the hyper-saturated colors of the photo I took, and there are many areas where I layered too much - but overall, I am so happy with this piece. I'd love to make more like it!

Mostly Prismacolor pencils with a bit of Derwent Coloursoft. The paper I used is made of recycled coffee filters and works beautifully with colored pencils (but again, layer too much and you'll get defined shapes where there shouldn't be). I wanted to limit my use of black; here, it's used only on Numan's hair. But even then, I think it might detract from the colors elsewhere. What do you think?

Raw scan (compared to color-corrected version above).
It captures the saturation of the photo a bit more.
Test page showing the actual paper tone.
Rough grid drawing. I have some proportions to tweak!
Photo taken September 1, 2013 at the Wonder Ballroom.

 Photo cropped for a simpler composition. Black and white version used to better understand tones.

For Day 2, I wanted to draw one of my favorite musicians: Gary Numan! His work has influenced my art and writing for many years now. I had the pleasure of seeing him live last year, and since then I've wanted to draw from the many photos I took.

My apologies for another late post. Time wasn't on my side today, but I'm going to fix that for the remaining pieces. Numan's final art will be done with colored pencils on toned paper. Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment