Monday, October 31, 2011

Oaxacan Horse, Stage 2!


 ^ Partially primed muzzle.

 ^ Muzzle and chin fuzz painted.

^ Bridge of nose almost done.... 

^ ...and done! 

^ Spiral-leaf motif drawn with True Green Verithin. 

^ Face completed! 

 ^ I bring more green onto the throat to continue the chin / jaw marking. Hooves colored.

^ Left foreleg feathering mostly painted.

^ Foreleg feathering complete!

Saturday, October 29, 2011

Oaxacan Horse, Stage 1!

^ Rather than trace my lineart with ballpoint, I opted to keep the pencil lines intact and color over them with Verithins.


^ Feathering begun...


^ ...and finished on right foreleg.


^ Pulling back to show the completed hooves.


^ Belly outlined, with light markings penciled in.


^ I outline the forelock and mane with Process Red; the eye with Ultramarine.


^ The tail is also outlined with Process Red.


^ Finished color outlines!


^ Obligatory skewed-angle shot.


^ Facial marking and eye completed, I move onto the forelock; I prime it with Aquamarine.


^ Magenta added.


^ Dahlia Purple and Violet complete the forelock's shadows.


^ Orange added for a 'highlight.'


^ Magenta completes the forelock!


^ My color palette, worked out last night (along with all progress seen on this post). Printed inspiration beneath it. For a bolder selection, I left yellow out and replaced it with Chartreuse.

Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Oaxacan Horse sketches and lineart!

^ Thumbnail and color concepts done with ballpoint pen and Blick Studio colored pencils. They're comparable to Prismacolor and are quite a bit cheaper.


^ Face concept, again with ballpoint and Blick Studio pencils.


^ Ballpoint sketch with patterns I may incorporate on the final piece.


^ Eye study with Prismacolor colored pencils.


^ Ear study with Prismacolors. Lines impressed with a stylus.


^ Rough ballpoint sketch drawn on the back of the final board, facing backwards.


^ Final lineart, sketched and cleaned up. I wanted a more stylized look for the Horse like I used for the Big Cat; the Hummingbird and Bearded Dragon got too realistic.


The Oaxacan Horse is based off of the Clydesdale, one of my favorite horse breeds. I adore draft horses.

Monday, October 24, 2011

Sketchbook_Nature Sketch 3 Pgs. 27a - 32b













These were drawn May 6 earlier this year during one of AIPD's open figure drawing sessions. I haven't posted all of my figure drawing sessions from that month here yet, and I wanted to share them. I was quite happy with this session; the sixth page down is my favorite.

Thursday, October 20, 2011

Oaxacan Bearded Dragon, Stage 4 COMPLETE!

^ I begin priming the belly.


^ Belly painted, minus later touch-ups.


^ Working left to right, I prime and paint the hind leg.


^ Scales and markings roughed in.


^ Markings continued onto toes.


^ Hind leg fully painted!


^ I prime the forelegs with a slightly darker color.


^ Markings added to toes.


^ Scales roughed in for right foreleg.


^ Scales roughed in for outer left foreleg...


^ ...and inner left foreleg.


^ Pulling back to show scales thus far.


^ Crosshatching on throat marks rough scale placement.


^ Scales defined more clearly.


^ Local hue painted over scales (I will go back and detail them further).


^ I prepare the other side of the jaw with Dark Purple to help denote depth.


^ Left foreleg painted with local hue. Again, I will return to it for detailing.


^ Markings primed onto right foreleg.


^ Toe markings defined more clearly.


^ Scales roughed in for shoulder.


^ Shading primed in for scales.


^ Markings painted in.


^ Right foreleg painted!


^ Shoulder painted. Scales detailed again later on.


^ "Shiny shot" focused on shoulder scales.


^ Scales roughed in on throat.


^ Shading added.


^ Color palette! I wore a few of these pencils to nubs while working on the Dragon.


^ The Oaxacan Bearded Dragon is COMPLETE!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...