Monday, September 19, 2011

Guidance Dogs: Great Dane progress!

I began working on this Dane before the Oaxacan Big Cat, but its progress has been painfully slow.

It's my first contract job, one I was (and am) truly thrilled to be a part of, but my habit of falling prey to discouragement has been strong recently. The project's owner, Kirsten L., did encourage me to share my progress on each dog, so I felt that sharing it - as I did with the Big Cat - will help me get it done.

The colors are a mix of Prismacolor and Derwent Coloursoft colored pencils. The Dane's coat color / pattern is harlequin.

^ Earliest scanned stage of the Great Dane: the dog is lightly inked with a ballpoint pen, and the foreground is colored.


^ More of the ground plane has been primed, and the mountain in the background is primed as well; I used complements to make my hues bolder. (Pardon the vibrancy differences between scans; I should have color-corrected them all at once rather than separately.)


^ Local tones applied to the mountain. I hadn't meant for it to look so green, but my aunt and Camille assured me that it looks fine. Guess I'll stick with it!


^ As with the background, I used complements on the Dane itself to help its markings pop. A bit overboard in hindsight, but the end result will look nice.


^ Spots that were orange become Navy Blue, then black.


^ More Navy Blue spots...


^ ...are now completely black.


I will finish this dog as soon as possible so I can continue working on my next dog, the Rhodesian Ridgeback.





Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...